Sunday, June 28, 2009

Dwell on Design - "The West Coast's Largest Modern Design Event"

Dwell on Design at the LA Convention Center ended today, and although I only had enough time to do a quick walk-through on Friday, I did have the opportunity to discover many great products and vendors for the first time.

Ford & Ching (formerly FordBrady) are Willard Ford (son of Harrison) and Andrea Ching. They both have been around the design scene for awhile, and their keen eye is evident in the artisans they represent. I recognized Skram and their beautiful "Wishbone" series of casegoods from a rosewood buffet I had bought for a client last year through a different showroom. They also carry those great funky outdoor "Pod" planters from Pad Outdoor that I see around sometimes, but never know where to purchase.


I was also lucky enough to stumble upon Samuel Moyer. He has been on my radar for awhile because of all the press he's received for his unique, one-of-a-kind reclaimed wood furniture. It's nice to find artisans producing furniture right here in Los Angeles!


And it was such a treat to meet the gals of Amenity Home. Nicole Chiala and Kristina de Corpo are former graphic designers and childhood friends who brought their unique design sensibilites to textiles, creating an amazing line of organic bedding and (because Kristina is a mom too, I guess!) nursery items. I have been a fan of their line for a long time, so it was great to finally meet the faces behind the design. They were launching their new line of sustainable furniture made entirely from vintage hardwoods rescued from Los Angeles demolition sites. "The Muir Collection" is the perfect furniture compliment to their funky textile designs.


This next thing blew me away - my husband and I are in the market for a house right now, so this definitely got my wheels spinning: Reclaimed Space is a sustainable, drop-ready, affordable house made of reclaimed/restored/rebuilt materials, starting at only $115 - $160/SF! Believe me, in Los Angeles ESPECIALLY, that is a bargain!!!! Besides the obvious eco-friendly aspects, I was most struck by the design - they had a 240SF +/- model on display and the interiors were absolutely beautiful! (And much larger than the last apartment I had in New York.)

No comments:

Post a Comment